Monday, April 14, 2014

Happy Easter!

Okay. Here is the deal. Time is precious.

If you only have two minutes, please skip reading my letter today.

Instead, go watch the video on this page:

www.mormon.org/BecauseofHim



No seriously.

You all may have seen it a thousand times, but some of us don’t currently have access to social media and so just barely found it and fell in love with it.

Just blow it up big screen and love it.



Anyway. It’s the week of Easter! I am so excited. This is one of the best weeks of the year. This time last year, OT came to an Easter Concert that touched him so deeply he let us teach him the restored gospel. I can hardly wait to see what precious things this year will hold.


And so in light of Easter, I just want to share a story from a few weeks ago that seems to fit the theme of it.

We were walking home for the night, and there was a man reading the menu just outside of a restaurant. My companion stopped him, and we just started chatting.
He told us that he lives in Bethlehem. He is in the <1% minority of Christians from there, and he was in Cardiff on a business trip. He has toured the BYU Jerusalem Centre, and asked what exactly it was that made our church different. Well, good question, Sami.

Somehow we started talking about the temple, and he was so touched. He's been to Jerusalem countless times--he understands how important that is/was. We showed him the picture in the restoration pamphlet about the restoration of the priesthood. (I love using pictures in a GQ. We all listen so much better with a visual.)

He took the picture in his hands and just quietly stared at it. And then he looked at us so intently. He was silent for what seemed like ages.

“How can I know?”

This is the sweetest question of all time to answer.

I wish I was good enough with words to convey how precious this scene was. Here I am, an American girl holding a book and testifying that Christ came to the ancient Americas. I’m showing him a picture of the resurrected Christ and the Nephites coming unto Him. Here is a man who walks daily on the streets where the Messiah was born. He has a testimony of his Saviour. We are standing in the middle of a dimly lit street in Cardiff, simply testifying. And he could feel the Spirit. My comp just testified so powerfully, and he knew.

I wish could have a picture of that moment. I’ll probably never see Sami again. But that experience just touched me so deeply. It’s probably one of my favourite moments from my mission.

I couldn’t even give him a copy of the Book of Mormon because of how controlled the customs regulations are for him. But we gave him a resto leaflet (which he will have to get rid of before he gets to customs). He asked if he went to the Jerusalem Centre if there would be someone who could tell him more.

It was a once in a lifetime experience that I have thanked my Heavenly Father for letting me witness.

I love moments like this; irreplaceable and precious. They teach me that God is aware of us. That He has designed His plan to let us grow, and that the message that we share blesses us.

I love Easter. Our message is that He LIVES!
And I love testifying of that.

xxx


Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment