Thursday, June 19, 2014

I am a Child of God

Okay, I am just going to jump right in to my favourite moment of the week.

Saturday morning, we were GQing in the park right next to Cardiff Castle (it’s one of my favourite places to talk to people.) There was a Down Syndrome man and his father riding a side-by-side tandem bike. We smiled and waved and said hello as they went past. The dad turns to his son and goes: “Did you see them waving at you?”

And the son gets this HUGE smile on his face and says: “Dad, do you know how many girls have flirted with me already today?”

Oh my goodness. Cutest thing ever. It reminded me a bit of Bruce. It totally made my day.



Remember that girl that came up to us by the river? Yeah, we taught her four times this week. She is amazing. Her name is Jennifer. She said she just cannot figure out what is drawing her over and over again to our church. She told us that she knows that this church is Christ’s church, and she is so grateful that she found it when she was twenty so it can shape the rest of her life. Amazing, right?

She goes back to London really soon, and sadly she’ll be baptised there when she goes back, but teaching her has been a miracle and I am thankful just for that opportunity.

Slight jump in topic:  Saturday, we stopped a girl who name I cannot spell and will not attempt to. I think I will call her Lucy. haha. When we told her about the Restoration, she said “ I think that could change the whole world, if that’s true.” It was just the most amazing conversation ever.
And guess who her best friend is...... that’s right. Jennifer. Jennifer had already told her about the Book of Mormon and invited her to meet with us.
Lucy leaves tomorrow for four months, but she said that when she comes back, the first thing she wants to do is come to church with Jennifer. Isn’t the Lord so amazing??
The world never seems as small as it does when miracles happen.


I think the moment that is kinda “painted” in my memory the clearest is when Jennifer came to church with us. She sat next to me in Relief Society--the opening hymn was I am a Child of God, and the closing one was Teach Me to Walk in the Light.
Even though she’d never heard either song before, she was singing. And I listened to her. It was like hearing her newfound testimony. Do you know how strong the Spirit is during the hymns? I hope you sing them with your whole heart, no matter how you sound. Jennifer didn’t really know the tune, but she was trying.
And I could tell she was paying attention to every word, and what they meant. I felt like I was hearing them again for the first time. The message of those hymns is incredible.

I am a child of God, and He has sent me here…. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday.

Can you hear that? I just sat there and realized (for the millionth time) how precious the opportunity to be a missionary is. She is learning that she is a child of God, and that understanding changes everything. Think about it. What about us is not transformed when we realize our divine natures??
I have been blessed to be able to share that with people. What an amazing calling. I think I will always think of Jennifer now when I sing that I am a Child of God.

After church, she said that she felt so good. She said that “it was like coming home after a long trip away. I feel like everyone is comfortable here and has just made me feel like I belong.”
For the record, I managed to not cry when she said that. But the Spirit just bore such strong testimony to me that she will be an influence for good in the gospel.


Basically, the church is true and the work is amazing. Also, next week, when I’m not busy ranting about Jennifer, I want to rant about what I have learned about charity this past week. SO COOL.

Xxx

Sister Miller


Pics:

Last Pday, we went to Caerphilly Castle. (We realized that we live in WALES and never go on adventures for PDays. Silly us.) It is like the "stereotypical" castle.  Basically, the best adventure ever. I may have pretended I was a princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment