Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Meaning of Happy

This week was a bit rough. We got flogged SO many times, and still haven't found anyone to teach. I'm starting to chop at the bit. Patience has 'always' been a skill of mine. But I'm trying to   be patient with what the Lord is giving me. And I know I am in the right place doing the right things, so things will happen when they are meant to.

I could talk about the 50000 people we met, but I just want to talk about one.

We have about ten formers the elders finally gave us. One was a lady named Andrea. We didn't know anything about her, but we showed up and knocked the door. A teenager answered the door. Usually we would have asked for the lady we were looking for, but we both felt prompted to just talk to this girl.
She didn't seem at all interested, and was kinda of trying to get us to go away. We were about to give up and ask for Andrea, when she started to close the door and then paused and just blurted out:
"I mean, it's something I never even thought about till my mum died a few weeks ago. Now I need to know. I need to understand."

It turns out the lady we were looking for had passed away, but I know the person who needed us then was her daughter. We shared the Plan of Salvation, and you could almost see the worry leave her face.

I love that about the Plan of Salvation. It immediately resonates and is just so comforting.
Hopefully someday Millie can be taught more. But for now, we just taught her what she was ready for. And I love doing that.



One thing I love about the Worcester Ward is the Deaf "community" there. There are three active members who are deaf, and a few less-active ones as well. Most of the ward has at least learned the basics of BSL, and quite a few of them can sign full lessons, which is really cool. So far I've pretty much just learned the alphabet and a few other signs.
Last week, Delma wanted to bear her testimony. She's this little tiny old woman. She just stood up, looked around, and motioned to a random member to come up with her.
She signed her testimony, and he spoke it for her. There were a few times she had to stop and spell things because he didn't know the sign, but it was so powerful. Her face was just so intent, and you could feel her sincerity as she bore her testimony.

I loved that. Then on Saturday, the daughter of one of the deaf men (Antony) was baptized. We helped her get sorted after she came out of the font, and we came out and starting walking back towards the chapel.

Antony was standing there with tears just streaming down his face.
I asked him if he was okay, and he just clapped his hands (they were horizontal, not vertical)three times.

And then he spelled it for me: H-A-P-P-Y.

And then he clapped three more times.


Happy.


That has to be my favourite signs of all time. It's just perfect. Think of how often in the Book of Mormon they clap their hands for joy.

H-A-P-P-Y.

Since then, I have studied little else other than the meaning of happiness in the scriptures.
I am so grateful that we can be happy, and that that is God's intent for us as His children.


Have a good week.

xxxx

Sister Miller

PIC:

The Sisters Miller! There's a new German sister named Sister Miller. She is so flipping cute. It's a big joke to everyone. It feels good to again have Sister America and Sister Deutschland. :)


Worcester Cathedral, England

No comments:

Post a Comment