Monday, April 22, 2013

April 8, 2013







What an INCREDIBLE week!!! In case you were wondering, General Conference on your mission is better than Christmas. It's better than chocolate. It's better than anything I can even compare it to. Each morning last week my companion and I would wake up and yell: Only 2 more sleeps till conference!!! Just a little excited. But really, if you listened to Conference this weekend, do you have any doubt that God has again called a prophet?? I feel so blessed to have the gospel in my life. And that I can share the good news with everyone, all day, every day.


I had made a list of about 15 conference questions that I wanted answered. Nice short list, right? Well, I was promised that all my questions I prayerfully brought would be answered. Why limit my answers to just a few questions? haha. They were ALL answered the first session. It was incredible. So what would I do? Get more questions for the next day, of course. And they were all answered. Literally, some of the talks that were like: "I want to answer an important question. This is the question." And it was almost word for word my question! Whaaattt!


And Conference felt like going home. Sunday morning we watched the recording of the Saturday afternoon session. And who was the choir but my BYU choirs?? Cali, when I saw your beautiful face, I literally started crying. I was so happy. And I saw so many people that I had classes with, visit taught, was their RA, was their TA....stalked on facebook (kidding!). It was incredible.


We had 5 investigators come to Conference with us this weekend. And they loved it!! It was so cool all week to teach people about Gospel dispensations, about how God always calls prophets, and then say "And this weekend is so special because you can hear the living prophet of God for yourself, and find direct answers for you and your family." And they did!


But enough about Conference. You probably started skimming it already... Will she ever shut up about conference?? Yes. Now. (Maybe.)










Did I tell you about Christopher and Marcia? I think I mentioned Christopher....he's the Jamaican man we started teaching. This week, we taught Marcia and her daughter Destiny (I think I mentioned Marcia is his "baby mother". Again, still confused about that concept.) AND SHE WAS SO READY!!!! She wants to be baptized. She read where we assigned her in the Book of Mormon , and didn't stop because she loved it so much. When she heard there was another session of conference, she wanted to stay and watch it. She's got a long way to go, but she has that desire to change and come closer to Christ. And it is the most beautiful thing I've seen. I cannot WAIT until we teach them all again tomorrow.


I think one of my favourite things is getting to talk to everyone about what they believe. You pick up such interesting things. Sometimes super crazy. But usually good. This week, we approached a lady. Before she even saw our badges, she started chatting with us. After a few minutes, she says "You're Christian, aren't you? I can tell by the happy light in your faces and the peace in your eyes." Wow. That is probably the best compliment I've ever gotten. And then she said that she was an atheist. Which shocked me. You see the light and peace that comes from believing in Christ, yet choose to believe in nothing?






Also, some of my other favorite random things that have been said to me so far as we've approached people: "I don't talk to Americans. They are sneaky and think that they aren't Englishmen." "Mormons are the ones that live in London, right?" "I can't listen to you. I'm an anarchist." "I'm a little drunk, but you've got a pretty smile so I'll listen." "Why are you here? You come from the best country on Earth. Why would you come here?" "Are you Australian?" Sometimes I have a hard time not just laughing. I love meeting people. So much. (And Mum just fell off her seat in surprise.)


One day this week, we'd had an awesome day. On the way home though, I was thinking that it was too bad that nothing truly funny had happened that I could tell you about from this week. Just as I was thinking this, my companion starts SHRIEKING and jumping around. Guess WHAT. She got pooped on by a bird!!!!! And I just stood there and laughed and laughed. I almost fell over I was laughing so hard. Don't worry though. I recovered enough to take out my camera and got some pictures of it.










I hope you all enjoyed conference as much as I did!! Family, I love you, and pray for you every day. There were some missionaries going home this week. It wasn't hard to watch them go until I thought about the fact that they'll get to hug their parents this week. And then I was slightly jealous. So hug each other, and know I love you!!






Sister Miller










And just a note on transfers: I can't believe I've already finished my first transfer. I'm like 99.9999999% positive my companion and I will be staying. But it's just so you can stay on track with knowing. :) Moves happen on Wednesdays, so when I do get transferred then, you won't know until I've been in my new area for about a week.






Okay. And best of all: the pictures. I like telling you about my week with the pictures instead of writing. :)






Who knew that I live down the street from the Fire Swamp. Good thing I watched Princess Bride and know how to avoid the three dangers of the fire swamp. No Wesley for us, though.






This week, I mistakenly threw in my sheets to wash without checking the washer. When I pulled out my sheets, I found out that the yellow cleaning rags were in there too. Whoops. I felt a little bit like an Elder. On the bright side, my sheets are now a beautiful soft yellow. About the color of my bedroom at home. Now I know how to dye things the cheap way! ;)






Sometimes I wish I had that magical mechanism that allows you to think before you speak. On Saturday at GC, all the missionaries from the stake were there. I noticed that there were a lot of really....loud ties. And then I misheard a conversation and thought that they had planned it. So I asked my district leader if General Conference was Ugly Tie Day. Um, apparently, it wasn't. Awkward.


So Elder Akebrand and Peterson wore the UGLIEST ties they could find on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment