Monday, July 15, 2013

Happy five month mark! (I actually forgot about it till just now.)



This week has been so good.


The weather perfect, the investigators progressing, and things actually going according to plan. Miracles, right? :)


It seems a little too good to be true. But it's supposed to rain later this week, so England will be back on track!


I'm including a picture of my foot tan. It's pretty ugly, but it's proof that (one) you CAN tan in England and (two) the worst tan lines are missionary tan lines.






Steven is the bomb. We met with him, and ended up spending an entire hour just talking about baptism. It was intense. And totally by the Spirit. He's frightened by baptism, but he said that he realized that he NEEDS the Holy Ghost in his life if he's going to make the changes he needs to move on and be happy. Which is so true! And he said one of my favourite gospel truths ever. When we asked him why he thought we'd pushed reading the Book of Mormon so much, he said that it was because it was a road map of our potential. That if we studied it and applied it, it would help us become the best we could be.


Have you ever heard a better description of the Book of Mormon? I haven't. but it basically summarized everything I've tried to express about it.


So, basically, Steven is now preparing to be baptized. I am praying like crazy that it will happen before transfers (which it is scheduled to), because I'm pretty sure I'll be transferred out of Harborne. Which I am trying to not think about.






It surprises me how often I am trying not to bust up laughing in a lesson. I think I've shared a few with you, but this week was my favourite's. There's a member who asked us to teach her mother. Who is really old. And really deaf. And has a really short term memory. Sooo, we weren't really sure what to expect when we went teaching there.


So, we go to their house. And we start beginning to try to teach. I would say a sentence (and let's face it. Being loud has never been an issue for me. This lady could definitely hear me, no matter how deaf she was.) and then her daughter would turn and yell it into her mom's face, using her own words and basically changing everything I said. Then my companion would say a sentence, and the daughter would do the same thing.


At first, it was super annoying. I was like, she can hear us. And then I realized how utterly hilarious it was. How often is it that you can speak through an interpreter and you can tell the interpreter is saying nothing of what you said? I literally had to hide my face behind my scriptures because I could not contain my laughter any more. It was pretty bad.


"Doris, our role as missionaries is to help you develop a better relationship to Christ."


"MUM, THE LADIES SAY THEY ARE GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT CHRIST'S GOSPEL, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALREADY TAUGHT YOU ALL ABOUT IT."


"God has always called a prophet to teach people about His gospel."


"MUM, THEY ARE GONNA TEACH YOU ABOUT THOMAS S MONSON. HIS WIFE JUST DIED BUT WE CAN LEARN LOTS FROM HIM. LET ME GO GET THE ENSIGN SO I CAN SHOW YOU A PICTURE."


It was great. I love being a missionary. :)






Another reason I love being a missionary: All the little tender mercies. Remember Jeannette? Pretty sure I told you about her. Because she was incredible. And then she went to jail. (which seems a bit like an oxymoron) Well, I've been periodically calling her for the past two months, because I figured it couldn't hurt. Saturday, I had the distinct impression that I needed to call her right THEN. so I did. I just about fell over when she actually picked up!


Apparently, she was in jail for six weeks waiting for her case to go to court and she was found not guilty. She had seen the missed calls from us, but didn't have credit on her phone to make calls. She said she was praying that we would call when she could actually pick up. And so I got to talk to her! I felt so blessed. It's so often that you grow to love an investigator and then they disappear and you don't know what happened to them. And now I know where she is, and can send missionaries. (Sadly, she didn't feel safe to live in Birmingham after what she'd been through.)


God is so good. Really. that is just reaffirmed to me day by day. Count your blessings!






xxx


Sister Miller


Miranda










Pictures:






ugly foot tan.






A penny farthing! I never actually thought I'd see one.






We got invited to a DA at a picnic. Which turned out to be a concert/festival for the Philipino Independence Day. A little bit awkward as a missionary. I never thought I'd celebrate the Philipino Independence Day... in England. But I now know Philipino food is actually pretty good! :)





















No comments:

Post a Comment