Monday, January 20, 2014

Count Your Many Blessings!

This week has been one of tender mercies for me. If I didn't know that the Lord was fully aware of me before, I definitely do now. The Plan of Salvation just amazes me. Heavenly Father has a plan that just blesses us so individually and yet as a whole. It kinda blows my mind to think about. Heck, I can't even perfectly coordinate a day (or even an outfit) and somehow He manages the Universe.
Anyhow. Off my random tangents and on to my week.

Last week, we had our first real appointment with Amirah. This little ten year old girl just amazes me. She has single-handedly reactivated her whole family. They've been coming back to church for about two months now. We weren't going to extend the baptismal invitation in the first lesson—she's met with a lot of missionaries before that just saw her as a number and just wanted to dunk her.

It was interesting—the lesson was off to a rocky start. Literally every phone that could ring did. We were trying so hard to set the tone of the lesson, but it just did not happen. And then we actually started teaching. And from there on out the Spirit was just so strong.
I don't understand how you can listen to the Restoration and not feel the Spirit testify to you that it is true.
Anyway. I said we weren't going to invite her to be baptised. At the end of the lesson, Amirah said that she had an announcement. It was: I want to be baptised. And she'd already picked her own date and everything. Which is brilliant. Her family asked if that was okay with us, and I was like, Duh. What do you want me to say...no??

I asked her why she wanted to be baptised, and she got a little shy. Do you know why she wants to be baptised? So she can have the Spirit at all times and go to the temple.
Wow. How I wished I'd understood the gospel so well at that age. Her mom practically glowed when she talked about how much happier they'd been since they started going back to church. You cannot tell me that the gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't bless families.


The Lord works so many miracles. I feel so blessed to be His servant and watch my brothers and sisters accept what will bring them so much joy. Can you imagine? That's not just some faceless person on the street. That is a child of the Eternal Father. He knows them perfectly. He knows what worries them, what brings them happiness, and has so many plans to help them grow. And sometimes we are privileged enough to be there to watch them change.
I think that's my favourite part of being a missionary.
Two times this week we went to see someone and we were told that our visit was an answer to their prayers.

Other tender mercies of the week:
*I had my interview with President. I so look forward to those. He has 280 missionaries, and yet he takes fifteen minutes to talk and answer questions. It's fab.
*I was feeling a little down, and called Sister Mueller (for missionary purposes!). She told me that she went on exchange with a sister I went on exchange with a few transfers ago. This sister said that I told her how excited I was each day to pin on my name badge. I guess she thinks about that each day when she gets ready and puts on her name badge, and she gets excited because of that, too. I had no idea I'd ever said that to her. And it's something that she thinks about on a daily basis and has for months. It was just comforting to know that I make a difference, even if it's just in a small way.
*I got to go on exchange with Sister Roscher. Let me tell you. Twenty-four hours of being with one of my best friends who knows me completely? So amazing. We just could not stop talking, I think she and I could talk nonstop for a week. I felt so grateful for it. Training her was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.


We've found quite a few good people this week. Most of them are through members—the ward council is finally pointing us towards some good people. And let's be honest. That's the best kind of finding. You can only knock so many doors before you start going a little crazy in the head.


And I realized I've stopped mentioning cultural things. My bad. It's just become so natural that I don't even notice it—I can't even really hear accents anymore. Americans sound funny to me. So. Cultural moment of the week: The Brits don't rinse their dishes.
They wash. And dry.
I'm trying to decide if that is disgusting, or if we are just repetitive.
I honestly cannot decide.

Also: they iron like everything. I think they iron more in a week than most Americans do in ten years. (One time at a service project, this lady even told me iron her pajamas. I may do some things, but I draw the line at insanity.) So tonight, be sure to thank Heavenly Father for your tumble dryer and the dust on your ironing board.


Thanks to my family, for everything you do for me. I see some families here with kids on missions and get a glimpse of what you must do for me. Thank you. Thanks you for each day. Each day matters so much to me. I love you. Oodles and heaps and loads.

Xxxx
Sister Miller
Last Pday, we explored a castle (well, what's left of it) in Abergavenny. Look at the tree stump I'm standing on. It's massive!


No comments:

Post a Comment